Welcome to De Akker Guesthouse
The character of De Akker is best expressed by 'you simply cannot buy the 75 years that matured in the house'. De Akker - or the oak tree - is the oldest oak tree in Bloemfontein. It was planted in the early 1930s when Dr. John van der Riet, a medical doctor owned the house. The tree is a huge four stories high and shades most of the back yard.
The current owners are only the third family to occupy the house. The first owner was an engineer and stayed in the house for 15 years. Dr. John occupied it for 42 years and the current owners for 17 years. Minor changes were made in the structure during these years.
In preparation for a guest house the house was restored to original where possible. The Oregon, oak and saligna wooden floors were restored. Where saligna floors were removed to make way for bathrooms the wooden blocks were laid on the stairs. The wooden frames of the eastern windows facing the street could be restored. The wooden window frames are complimented with bronze aluminum and sound proof glass.
- DE AKKER Guest House is 1 km from the soccer stadium. Please see our location on Google Maps. The image includes the Zoo to the right on the screen (east of De Akker) and the sport stadium directly South of the Zoo, shown as "Vodacompark".ddd
- De Akker Guest House Bloemfontein has 7 rooms available including private bathrooms, independent DSTV (satellite TV) and Air conditioning.
- DE AKKER Guest House Bloemfontein is walking distance from Bloemfontein Waterfront and Mall, Mimosa Mall, Free State Rugby and Soccer Stadium, Free State Cricket Oval, Medi Clinic Hospital, Grey College School, Eunice School.
- 9 Rooms available
- Breakfast Optional
- DSTV (satellite TV) with 25 channels
- Air conditioning in all rooms
- Private Bathrooms
- WIFI Available
- Secure Parking
- N1 from Johannesburg or Cape Town
Turn off onto Nelson Mandela Drive. Go straight until you reach the end of the mall on your left hand side. Turn right at the robot into Parfitt avenue. Go over the robot and De Akker Guesthouse will be on your right hand side. Have a save journey
- From Bloemfontein International Airport
Drive out of the airport and go through 1 roundabout. Turn right to merge with the N8. Follow the road until you drive underneath a brigde and turn left into Nelson Mandela Drive. When you past Macdonalds on your right take the slipway on your left into Parfitt ave.Go over the robot and De Akker Guesthouse will be on your right hand side. Have a save journey